Connie
And the school year is off and running in this house!



Yesterday was the first day of school. As the weepy kindergarten Moms all stood at the front door taking pictures of their kids coming off of the school bus, walking to their rooms and hanging up their over sized backpacks etc. I was doing the 'Happy Dance' with all the WAHM's in the parking lot.



Yes. We all love our kids. Let's not get all crazy. I'm just saying, I think I speak for quite a few Mom's out there when I say after a long humid summer ~ education is a wonderful thing.



On to the second order of business. Last week I celebrated my 40th birthday. Settle down, settle down. There was no fan fare, no big hoopla party. Just me and the kids because Mr was out of town on business. Relax, relax. While I didn't get a big ole present or anything (not really my thing but I am a woman and wouldn't turn down a fabulous gift if it appeared ~ I'm just saying), we did go out for a celebration dinner once Mr returned.



Anyway, now that I'm in my 41st year of life I was wondering if I should really make an attempt to decorate our living room? I mean we've been living here for the better part of 6 years but have never had the gusto to 'go for it' in our second most used space (kitchen comes in second).



To say "I'm having 'issues' with the living room" would be an understatement. Let's take a tour and you can give me some ideas because we all know I haven't had any the past 6 years. So grab a piece of paper and write down some quick ideas for me. Honest.



Upon entering my front door and you are immediately intimidated by, if not blinded by the sun, what I call the wall of windows. Because I do not have 23' arms, and I'd like to spend some time in there without having to play musical chairs with the sun, I'd like to get some remote controlled blinds or something.



Of course Mr does not want anything on the windows because the view is so spectacular. We both agree some decorative panels would be great but can't figure out how we should hang them. Should we try to include the uppers or treat them as separate?



See the cathedral ceiling? I've hired a local craftsman to create some rustic beams for the ceiling. I haven't seen any sketches yet but I know they will be similar to the mantel on our fireplace. I positive (crossing my fingers and toes) these beams will transform the room into something warm and inviting.



Now onto the fireplace and mantel area. Last year I had the flanking cabinets made, black with rustic worn edging.



While I'm watching my favorite news anchor (see TV) I can quite enjoy him because I get frustrated looking at the empty space around the TV. It feels as if something decorative should be above the TV, but what? Don't even get me started on the rest of the mantel or decor above the cabinets. Ugh!



Now let's turn around and check out the entry to my dining room and kitchen shall we?



As you can see I've been working on decorating the dining room and kitchen areas without issue so I know I have the skills, it's just got to be this room.



So I've got a 23 foot wall separated by an entrance with a huge header area. Much like this wall, I've got nothing. Well ok, I tried to fill some of the space with what we had from the other house. Fail.



Now let's move towards the entry door as if you are running, screaming from the lack of decor. But wait, shield your eyes from the sun! Yes that's right, another set of impossibly high windows! Agh!



See those half walls? I did make an attempt to place some items (vases, suitcases and a birdcage) on both of them. It was a gallant effort right? Well, I like to think so but we both know the truth here. So like I said, I need some help from you. I'm a traditionalist who gravitates towards the warm inviting Tuscan style with modern touches. Not that you can tell from this mess of a room mind you.

At any rate, any ideas or tips are very welcome as I try to finally attempt to decorate this room.

2 Responses
  1. Happy 40th! I'm with you on not requiring a lot of hoopla for birthdays, but I hope it was a little special for you!
    And YAY for back to school!!!

    We installed cordless blinds in our living room--we also have an awesome view, but the sunlight is an issue at sunset. We are SO happy with them--our view isn't compromised and the look is very clean. AND it saves us on our heating/cooling costs, too.

    Maybe some stained glass hangings on those high windows would alleviate the glare without compromising the light? I'm hopeless when it comes to decorating..someday I plan to hire someone to help me with my living room...when Team Testosterone gets older and less destructive...


  2. Happy Birthday! And I can't believe your kids just started school. I am already counting down the days until Fall Break! :) Love your living room!


Post a Comment